Tattoo. Pierce. Design.
What We Do
Steel Tattoo has assembled the area’s top tattoo artists. Each artist has the experience and technique to confidently fulfill any request of any style. First, we ask you book a consultation with one of our artists. Consultations are free, lasting no longer than 15 minutes. Bring with you any ideas or reference images, talk with your artist, figure out your design, and then book an appointment date from there. Deposits are required and will go towards the cost of your tattoo.
Our piercing specialists are experienced in all types of piercings. Walk-ins are welcome. All piercing prices include start-up jewelry and aftercare.
We understand that not everyone is an artist, but everyone has a vision. Our artist can transfer that vision to paper and then onto your body! Not sure what you want? Check out our artists’ portfolios either on our website or our Facebook page for some ideas. Note: All tattoos are custom designed.
Get Ink Now (248) 461-3633
Meet Our Artists
Does getting a tattoo hurt?
Everyone is different and it all depends on your threshold for pain. It also depends on the area of the body the tattoo is being placed. Different areas have different nerves. While some do find it painful, most people find it comparable to a scratching sensation.
How long do I have to wait to go swimming, take a bath, or go in my hot tub?
In most cases it is suggested to wait two weeks. Our artists don't stop after the ink is on, they help with the aftercare. Each artist will discuss how to treat the tattoo to ensure 100% satisfaction.
Does Steel Tattoo LLC use any sort of numbing cream when tattooing or piercing?
No. We have found it can not only cause complications, it is ineffective. Sort of a no-win situation.
What is the proper aftercare process? Show Answer
- After getting tattooed, leave the bandage on for 1⁄2 hour (or length of time specified by artist) in order to prevent bacteria from entering and to allow the tattoo to bleed without lymph drying and scabbing.
- With clean hands, remove the bandage and gently wash your tattoo with warm water and a mild, liquid antibacterial soap (such as H20cean’s Blue Green Foam Soap included in the H20cean Extreme Tattoo Care Kit, or unscented Dial soap). Make sure you remove all traces of blood and lymph as this will cause scabbing. Do not use a washcloth or anything abrasive to wash your tattoo. Pat the tattoo dry with a soft disposable paper towel or let air dry. Do not rub it dry. Rubbing the tattoo can be too abrasive and using a cloth towel can introduce germs. Do not use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to clean your tattoo.
- Cover the tattoo with a very thin layer (just enough to make it shine) of an antibacterial ointment such as Aquatat (sold here), Aquaphor, or other tattoo- specific ointments. Do not use Vaseline or petroleum jelly as they will fade the color of your tattoo. (Note: Some people are allergic to the zinc in ointments that contain Bacitracin.)
- Apply ointment 3-5 times a day for the first 2-3 days whenever the tattoo is feeling stiff or dry. Keeping it moisturized will ensure the least amount of scabbing, peeling, and fading of the color. If you do not keep it moist ENOUGH or if you keep it TOO moist, it may form a thick, hard scab. Make sure your hands are clean each time you rub ointment on it. The introduction of bacteria or dirt will cause the tattoo to become infected.
- After 2-3 days of using ointment you will notice some peeling and possibly a little scabbing—switch to a fragrance-color-sparkle-free moisturizing lotion. Steel Tattoo recommends H20cean’s Ocean Care skin moisturizing cream (sold here as part of our H20cean Extreme Tattoo Care kit). Eucerin, Aveeno, Vaseline Intensive Care, and Lubriderm work as well. Your tattoo will itch (just like a sunburn) when it begins to heal. DO NOT PICK OR SCRATCH.
- Do not soak your tattoo during healing. Short showers are best. Do not swim in a lake, pool, hot tub, or take a bath for two weeks after getting your tattoo. Keep your tattoo out of direct sunlight while it’s healing. After your tattoo is healed, always use sun block while in the sun (preferably 30 to 45 SPF). Steel Tattoo carries H20cean Sea Life SPF 45. Sunlight will fade the ink, especially in bright colors or black. Note: All tattoos do fade over time.
- By day 7-10, the skin should have peeled away, leaving shiny new skin. By the end of two weeks, the tattoo should be healed.
- Note: HANDS AND FEET reproduce skin cells much faster than other parts of the body. Tattoos in these areas will take extra time to heal. During this time, refrain from washing dishes, wearing gloves, or wearing socks and shoes. Any friction of this type will wear away the tattoo within a very short period of time. Tattoos in these areas are almost never guaranteed.
- Any questions, give us a call at (248) 461-3633 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
About Steel Tattoo
10000 E Highland Rd, Hartland, MI 48353
Inside the Fountain Square of Hartland
Tues-Sat 12pm - 8pm
Sunday & Monday By Appointment Only